A few years back, when mobile devices like smartphones started becoming relevant in the corporate world, people would carry two separate devices—one for personal use and the other for professional use.
Today, as mobile devices have become indispensable, there has to be a more convenient way to separate your work and personal life on Android, and there is.
Thanks to ever-evolving technologies, enterprises can now create Android work profiles to keep their corporate data isolated from the employees’ personal apps and data on their BYO devices.
Wondering why it is crucial to separate personal and work data? It is to help employees draw lines between their work and personal lives.
But more importantly, it is also to help businesses manage and secure their corporate data on employees’ personal devices. With Android work profiles, businesses can push extensive corporate policies strictly on the work profile without hampering their employee’s user experience or privacy.
Let’s understand how you can separate your work and personal data on Android devices.
Separating Work Profile and Personal Profile on Android Devices
1. Multi-User Profiles
Besides creating Android work profiles, there’s another way by which users can successfully separate their work & personal data on devices. This can be done with the help of multiple user profiles.
Android devices allow users to create multiple profiles using a primary and a secondary Google account.
You can set up the primary profile as your personal profile and the second one as your work profile and then switch back and forth depending on your working hours.
This, however, is a tedious method and not preferred by many for several reasons. The main reasons being it takes a considerable amount of time to set up, it is not supported in Samsung devices, and also because it is impractical to execute on an enterprise level.
2. Android Work Profiles
Android devices belonging to version 5.0 and above have support for the work profile feature that creates a separation between the personal & work apps and data on the user’s Android phone.
This separation is easily achievable with the help of an MDM solution that supports Google’s Android Enterprise service. Android MDM solutions like Scalefusion offer containerization capabilities that help IT admins set up a work profile for efficient BYOD management.
What is Containerization?
Containerization is a form of segregating apps to ensure they run in separate containers on the same device using the same OS. Containerization works by virtualizing all the components of an application into a single container where it runs as an isolated entity on a shared OS.
Containerization goes a long way in helping businesses streamline and secure their BYOD management.
It enables IT admins to separate their employee work apps from their personal apps on their BYO devices. This containerized data can also be separately encrypted or password protected for additional security.
Benefits of Containerization
Statistics show that 67% of employees use their personal devices for work. This makes it crucial for businesses to implement strategies that streamline their BYOD management.
Here’s how containerization benefits businesses and employees:
Corporate Data Security
Securing sensitive business information is a major concern when allowing employees to use their personal devices for work. Providing company-owned devices makes corporate data security easier for businesses since these devices can be secured with enterprise policies.
It is anything but fair to expect employees to allow their companies to take over their personal devices and push extensive settings for tailored device usage.
Containerization of data allows businesses to strike a balance between allowing employees the freedom to use their devices and securing their corporate data. With the Scalefusion MDM solution, you can selectively apply corporate policies to your Android work container.
With this, all the corporate data stored separately in the work container is secured with strict corporate settings, whereas the rest of the device functionalities remain unaffected. You can also restrict the copying of data from work to personal apps, reinforcing your android data security.
Imagine the hustle of managing and monitoring your employees’ personal devices. Firstly, enterprises cannot take complete control of the user’s personal device. Secondly, IT admins are always apprehensive about accidental or intentional data breaches.
Managing work containers with the help of an MDM solution makes the process of managing and constantly monitoring hundreds and thousands of employee devices easier for your IT teams.
Employee Data Privacy
BYOD policies are not very appealing to employees. Several enterprises have experienced resistance to BYOD policies simply because employees feel threatened with losing their privacy.
Containerization helps employees change their perspective on BYOD management since any and every corporate policy that their enterprise extends is applied specifically to the work profile and does not hamper the functioning of their device or their personal data.
Separate Work and Personal Work Apps on Android with Scalefusion MDM
You can easily manage your employee-owned or BYO devices with Scalefusion BYOD. It helps ensure that your corporate data is securely accessed and used in a non-intrusive manner.
As an IT admin, you need to have the following requisites to start managing your employees’ personal devices.
- Have an Android for Work setup
- Successfully update your organization’s information
- Create a BYOD profile with policies and settings that suit your business needs
- Manage users by adding or importing employees to the Scalefusion dashboard
- Create enrollment configurations such as QR codes for a simplified bulk enrollment process and send out invites to your employees via email
While enterprise mobility is helping employees stay connected from anywhere in the world, it is also thinning the lines between personal & work life.
Separating personal and work-related apps and data on your employees’ Android devices Features is easy and fuss-free with Scalefusion MDM.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the options for separating work and personal profiles on Android?
- Android work profile: Creates a secure, separate space for work apps and data.
- Multiple user profiles: Separate accounts with distinct apps and settings.
- App-specific work profiles: Some apps offer dedicated work profiles within their interface.
2. How do I set up an Android work profile?
- Check if your device supports it (Android 5.0+).
- Use an MDM solution or follow your organization’s instructions.
- Install work apps and configure them separately from personal apps.
3. Can I switch between work and personal profiles easily?
- Yes, usually through the quick settings panel or dedicated app drawer tabs.
- Some profiles can be paused or hidden when not in use.
4. What happens to my personal data in a work profile?
- It remains separate and untouched by work apps and data.
- You can still access and use personal apps and files normally.
5. Are there any disadvantages to using separate profiles?
- Some apps may not offer dedicated work profiles.
- Switching profiles can be slightly inconvenient.
- Notifications and data usage might require separate management.