Location tracking of device fleet is a critical piece of the puzzle for managing enterprise mobility in industries such as transportation, logistics and last-mile delivery. We are excited to announce that we have now extended our location tracking and geofencing feature to macOS devices enrolled on Scalefusion MDM.
Location tracking for macOS is here!
You can now start tracking your macOS assets via Scalefusion. You can get started with macOS location tracking by installing the Scalefusion MDM Client (1.1.0 & above) on your enrolled macOS devices.
How does it work?
- Configure the location permissions and notification permissions on the Scalefusion dashboard within the Location & GeoFencing > Location Settings.
- Set the preferred mode for tracking location from the available modes with your plans such as Basic, High Accuracy and Fleet Tracking.
- Choose the frequency in which the locations will be synced with the server and reflected on the Scalefusion dashboard.
- On the device end, install the Scalefusion MDM client app and grant location permission on the device.
- Obtain the location history for your device inventory for 90 days, 30 days or 7 days
- If you intend to switch to Google Maps instead of Open Maps, you can do so by configuring the Google Maps API Key which would require a valid Gmail account and setup of the Google Cloud Billing platform.
Please note that location of macOS devices cannot be tracked if the device is in sleep mode or the device’s lid is closed.
Circular and Polygonal Geofence for macOS devices
Along with the location tracking feature, we have enabled the geofencing capability for macOS devices enrolled on the Scalefusion dashboard. The prerequisites for accessing geofencing for macOS remain the same as location tracking.
With this release, you can now create circular as well as polygonal geofences for macOS devices.
- For a circular geofence: Type in the address to bring up a region on the map or click and drag the circle at the desired location on the map. Once the location is marked, configure the radius, latitude and longitude details of the selected area. Enter a name for your geofence and save the newly created geofence.
- For a polygonal geofence: Click on the map to draw a polygon (with a min of 3 points selected) of the area to be marked under geofence. Or you can search your location by entering the address to bring up a region on the map and then select location points. Close the shape, and click on the first point.
- Apply the geofences to macOS devices or device groups.
- View Logs for when the devices entered or exited their respective geofences. You can access the logs showing the timestamp, and date with status when the device moved in or out of the geofence area.
- You can edit, update, delete, unpublish or copy the geofences created on the Scalefusion dashboard.
We would love for you to try this new feature and take your asset tracking to the next level. Get started with location tracking and geofencing for macOS devices today!