In today’s digital age, smartphones have become an integral part of our lives, with over 3.3 billion Android devices being used worldwide. These devices offer a wide range of applications that enhance productivity, entertainment, and communication. Android phones and tablets are not only popular for personal use but also find widespread adoption in commercial deployments such as information kiosks and digital signages. They are also extensively used in educational institutes to drive e-learning, and students utilize Android tablets and phones for both entertainment and educational purposes.
However, there are times when it becomes necessary to restrict certain apps on Android devices. This could be to improve focus, control screen time for children, or ensure privacy and security. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through various methods and techniques to effectively block apps on your Android device.
What is App Blocking?
App blocking refers to the process of preventing specific applications from launching or being accessed on an Android device. It gives you the power to control the usage of specific apps and can be incredibly useful for managing distractions, safeguarding personal data, and promoting a healthier digital lifestyle.
The Importance of App Blocking
One of the biggest concerns while deploying an Android device for work is data usage and app access. With an influx of readily available apps, exercising access control on these applications is a priority. For businesses, these Android apps can prove as a hindrance in operations as well as a distraction, impacting productivity, not to mention the excess data costs. In an educational environment or even homes where students & kids are using Android devices, gaining control over apps and app usage is essential to avoid misuse and distractions.
With a multitude of apps available in the Google Play Store, it’s crucial to have the ability to manage and control their usage. Here are some key reasons why restricting apps on Android is important:
- Enhanced Productivity: Blocking apps that tend to distract you, such as social media or gaming apps, can significantly boost your productivity and help you stay focused on your tasks.
- Digital Wellbeing: By limiting excessive screen time and promoting a balanced usage of apps, you can maintain a healthier relationship with your Android device.
- Parental Control: App blocking is an essential feature for parents who want to ensure a safe and controlled digital environment for their children. It allows parents to block age-inappropriate apps or limit screen time on their child’s device.
- Privacy and Security: Certain apps may compromise your privacy or pose security risks. By blocking such apps on your phone, you can protect your personal data and prevent potential threats.
Now that we understand the significance of app blocking let’s explore various methods to effectively achieve this on your Android device.
Method 1: Using Built-in App Management Features to Restrict Apps
Android provides built-in features that allow you to manage and restrict app usage. Follow these steps to block apps using the native app management settings:
- Open the Settings app on your Android device.
- Scroll down and tap on Apps & Notifications or Application Manager (may vary depending on your device).
- In the list of installed apps, select the app you want to block.
- Tap on Permissions or App Info (again, this may vary based on your device).
- Disable the Allow app or Enable option to block the app.
Using the built-in app management features is a straightforward method to block individual apps on your device. However, it may not provide advanced blocking options or offer a comprehensive solution for managing multiple apps simultaneously.
Method 2: Third-Party App Management Solutions like Scalefusion MDM
With Scalefusion Android MDM, blocking apps on Android devices is quick and simple. For enterprise devices, IT admins can block applications available from Play For Work. For devices deployed in a non-corporate environment such as schools, parental controls can be enforced by blocking apps on Android phones and tablets. Android devices can be also locked into a single app mode for work or advertising purposes, where only a single allowed application runs on the device, avoiding any misuse of the device from the users.
Scalefusion MDM offers a wide range of features, including:
- Scheduled Blocking: Set specific time intervals during which selected apps will be blocked automatically.
- App Usage Analysis: Gain insights into your app usage patterns and receive reports to better understand your digital habits.
- Whitelisting and Blacklisting: Create lists of allowed or blocked apps, giving you precise control over which apps can be accessed.
- Password Protection: Secure the app blocking settings with a password or PIN, preventing unauthorized changes.
How to Block Apps on Android Devices: Step-by-Step Guide
Let’s have a look at the step-by-step guide at how to block apps on Android devices with Scalefusion:
1. Navigate to the Device Management section and select Device Profiles.
2. Device Profiles are a set of policies to be applied to the device to gain control and ensure security. Choose an appropriate name for the Device Profile. Select the Android operating system and start creating a Device Profile.
3. Now, you can start allowing applications that you want to be available on the enrolled Android device.
4. You can select Scalefusion Launcher Mode or Scalefusion Agent Mode. Note that in Agent Mode, you can further restrict applications with the help of EMM settings.
5. Move to the Restrictions tab>Device Management. In App Management Setting, you can control the application restriction. This will block apps on Android devices that are not approved by you.
6. To approve applications, you have to navigate to the Application Management section of the dashboard and select Play for Work Apps.
7. Now, you can add apps from the Play for Work store (For EMM devices). Search the application of your choice using the Search and Add button.
8. You can see all the applications available on the Play for Work store. You can choose an application and approve it.
9. Once an app is approved in this step, you can allow it on the enrolled Android devices.
With Scalefusion MDM, it is easy to block apps on Android devices. You can also block all the apps on an Android device and allow only enterprise apps to be available on the device.
Controlling and blocking apps on your Android device is a powerful way to enhance productivity, manage distractions, and ensure a safer digital experience. Remember to analyze your app usage patterns, identify the apps that need restriction, and choose the most suitable method accordingly. By incorporating app blocking techniques into your digital routine, you can regain control over your device and create a healthier, more focused environment.
Start implementing these strategies today and take charge of your Android device!