To understand, how Scalefusion Mobile Device Management can support smartphones & tablets as ELDs, lets us understand some of the basic information related to ELD.
What is ELD?
ELD (Electronic Logging Devices) is an electronic solution that enables professional truck drivers and commercial motor carriers in USA to easily track Hours of Service (HOS) compliance.
What is ELD Mandate?
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) (USA) Electronic Logging Device (ELD) mandate, created to improve safety within the transportation industry, is currently the burning topic.
In States, Carriers and drivers who are subject to the rule, were to install and start using ELDs by the appropriate deadline – those using paper logs or logging software must transition to ELDs no later than December 18, 2017, and those using AOBRDS prior to the compliance date must transition to ELDs no later than December 16, 2019.
All CDL drivers required to keep a Record of Duty Status (RODS), must use an ELD to document their compliance with HOS rules.
Which devices can be ELDs?
Trucking operators have several options to comply with the ELD mandate. They can use single-purpose, mounted devices with pre-installed software. Trucking companies can also use smartphones or tablets and install ELD tracking software. According to the FMCSA FAQs, ELDs can be on a smartphone or other wireless device, as long as the device meets the ELD rule’s technical specifications.
This mobile ELD option is certainly practical with logistics operators and small fleets because of its low cost and ease of installation and operation. According to the Owner Operator Independent Drivers Association, 90% of the trucking industry comprises of small business trucking companies with ten or lesser trucks.
Benefits of ELDs
- Minimizing Administrative Burden
- Reducing Fuel Wastage
- Vehicle Diagnostics
- Location Tracking and Better Route Management
- Real-Time Alerts with Geofencing
- Identification of Bad Driving Behaviours
- Reducing Liabilities
- Automated IFTA Calculation
- Lower Insurance Premiums
- Increased Safety
- Improvement in CSA Scores
- Higher Profits
ELDs, or electronic logging devices, can help fleets streamline their operations, increase productivity, and maximize profits. Additionally, with all the information that ELDs gather, trucking companies can grow at a much faster pace. After all, the right set of data helps you explore growth opportunities.
How Scalefusion Strengthens ELDs?
Scalefusion – A kiosk Lockdown solution can help Logistics & Fleet Management companies in 3 key areas:
1. Lockdown of Mobile Devices: Smartphones and tablets can also be used as ELD, but they are required to be locked for the specific purpose of Electronic Logging. Scalefusion, locks Android smartphones and tablets into Kiosk Mode by which all the other activities like unnecessary web surfing and downloading of irrelevant apps is restricted. Device restriction is critical for logistics companies to ensure that devices are not being misused by drivers and mobile data is used prudently.
2. Remote Management: As trucks and drivers are continuously on the move, their devices need to be managed remotely. All the devices, which are registered with Scalefusion can be remotely monitored and managed from a single, central dashboard by Admin.
3. Device Security: As the ELD captures important driver and vehicle information, security of the device as well as data is important. Scalefusion can help secure ELDs by enforcing passcodes and ensuring other hardware as well software security features.
4. Installing and Updating Apps: Since Scalefusion facilitates remote management, companies can install and update the applications that are supporting the ELD mandate remotely. If there are any app updates to be pushed, Admin will be able to do that from the Scalefusion dashboard, otherwise, it could be a logistical nightmare for them to physically acquire the devices, or to ask that device users to update apps themselves.