Content… delivered to the right people, at the right time
FileDock is Promobitech’s file manager app and a gateway into content management on a locked-down device.
In its current avatar, FileDock and Content Management focus on delivering and organising content, and, managing content that is downloaded via the Scalefusion browser.
FileDock enables easy management of organisation-approved content. With FileDock, an authorised administrator is always in complete control, mitigating the risk of confusing content versions, outdated information, unapproved sharing.
A few examples:
- 1. An after-sales service organisation needs to deliver updated manuals to its field force, or one of the engineers urgently needs a troubleshooting guide for a device he/ she does not usually service.
- 2. A logistics firm sends a driver a bill of lading or, a copy of necessary permits to the driver of a truck which has been held at a checkpoint for lack of documentation.
- 3. A lecturer delivers the day’s assignments to his class, then needs to get an updated version across to them after school hours (of course after he intimates them using Scalefusion’s broadcast message feature).
- 4. Law enforcement beat officers doing the rounds of a particular area of a city receive a mugshot of a person of interest based on just-in intelligence from the detective-in-charge
- 5. A travelling salesman receives the latest performance statistics, minutes before he makes a presentation to a potential customer
With FileDock each device-user no longer needs access to email or a computer/ laptop, or worry about the content version. That’s left up to the dashboard operator, and we trust he or she knows what they are doing.
Setting up FileDock is as easy as selecting the app from the suite of Enterprise apps in the dashboard, and publishing it to specific Devices, Profiles or Groups. Assuming that you’ve gone through a normal Scalefusion installation, this non-Play Store app installation will be allowed, and soon, users will see the FileDock app on their home screens.
Once FileDock resides on user devices, content can be published to Devices or Groups using the dashboard’s Content Management option. Pushing content to a Profile is redundant because several groups could be mapped to a profile.
In other words, there are more restraints on which devices receive published content, than installing FileDock, which is a good thing.
Visually, it looks something like this:
Content Management dashboard
The Content Manager in the dashboard gives an administrator a high-level view of folders and files. Content files managed Content Manager can be organised into folders, edited, deleted on the dashboard, and the changes are reflected on relevant devices.
A device user uses FileDock to access a mirror-image of the organised content approved for his/ her device.
In the Content Manager, the List view is more informative (up front) than the Grid view. Selecting an item tells us if the content has been published, and to which Groups or Devices. Additionally, there are options to delete, edit, download, unpublish.
Bear in mind…
- 1. FileDock supports doc, docx, ppt, pptx, xls, xlsx, pdf, avi, mkv, 3gp, mp4, mp3, wav, 3ga, m4a, aac, ogg, amr & gif files
- 2. The content handler app must be whitelisted in a device profile. Otherwise, Scalefusion will restrict the default handler app from launching, which defeats the purpose of delivering that content in the first place. So, if you push a jpg file to a device, the image viewer must be allowed to run per the active device profile.
- 3. The Scalefusion browser creates a Scalefusion Downloads folder on the device. Content downloaded via the browser is stored in there and accessible via FileDock. But once again, the default handler apps must be whitelisted.
- 4. Controlling which handler apps are allowed to run, indirectly controls how end users can share content. Note: FileDock does not impose restrictions inside the handler apps.
- 5. Folders or files in FileDock are not encrypted
In conclusion, Content Management and FileDock work hand-in-hand to deliver a functional, seamless content-sharing environment for Scalefusion users.