Android devices deployed for work have multiple applications up and running on them to fulfill business tasks. Few organizations opt for applications from the Google Play Store while others publish enterprise apps on managed devices for business. Updates to the device operating system might generate compatibility issues also impacting the performance of applications. Till these apps present optimum compatibility and performance to the latest version of the operating system, it becomes a priority to delay the OS updates on Android devices used in an enterprise environment.
To mitigate the app performance issues, it is important to block the automatic updates in Android devices. Once the app performances are tested, the updates need to be rolled out to all the managed devices for the efficient functioning of these devices for business use.
Block Automatic Android Updates
Scalefusion MDM aids the company IT in taking total control over the OS updates in Android devices. IT teams can block automatic updates in Android devices and schedule the OS updates during a defined time period ensure that the device performance is uninterrupted. With this feature, the system alerts for automatic updates will be restricted, offering a flawless user experience to the end-user. Alternatively, IT can also block status and notification bar in Android devices to ensure seamless user experience.
How to Block Automatic Updates
Let’s have a look at the step-by-step process to block automatic updates in Android devices using Scalefusion Android Mobile Device Management.
1.Sign up on Scalefusion. IT admins can sign up using any non-G-suite account or also sign up using Office 365 account credentials.
2. Enroll devices on Scalefusion Android MDM. IT teams can choose Android Zero-touch enrollment for quickly enrolling multiple devices.
3. Navigate to the Device Management section on the dashboard. In this section, you can configure policies for the enrolled devices under the Device Profile section.
4. You can create a new profile or edit an existing profile. Remember to block automatic updates in Android device, you have to create a profile in kiosk/agent mode.
5. You can configure the Device Profile as Agent or as a launcher. Select allowed apps, browser shortcuts and apply brand to your Device Profile.
6. Navigate to the Restrictions tab. In this section, you can configure the settings to block the automatic updates in Android devices. Navigate to the Secure settings on the left pane.
7. Select to override the Global/Device Secure settings with the toggle button. You can now configure features for Security, hardware keys, USB connection and OS updates in manage Android devices.
8. Scroll down to access the System Update Policy Settings. In this section, you can configure the system updates, delay it and schedule it. These settings can be configured only on the EMM devices.
9. Choose the postpone option. The automatic OS updates in Android devices will be blocked for 30 days.
10. If you choose the None option in the System Update Policy settings, the OS update action will be under the control of end-user. The end-user can choose to update the device or choose to ignore the update.
11. Click on update profile. You can start applying the Device Profile to devices or Device groups.
Enforce Automatic Updates in Android device
If you choose the Automatic install update, the new version of the OS will be automatically downloaded and installed on Android devices.
Schedule Android Updates
You can also schedule the OS updates on Android devices in this section. This is useful for Android devices running in single-app mode as kiosks. The update can be scheduled at a time when the kiosk is not catering to business needs or being used as digital signage. You can select a maintenance window and schedule the device OS to be updated in the defined duration.
With Scalefusion, IT can gain absolute control and ensure the performance and security of EMM devices while ensuring an impeccable user experience.